Director: Laurel Buxbaum, PsyD
We investigate the interface between cognitive representations of objects, tasks, and action planning processes using behavioral testing with healthy and brain-damaged participants, voxel-based lesion analyses (VLSM), Functional Connectivity (in collaboration with Steve Gotts and Alex Martin), Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS; in collaboration with Branch Coslett and Steve Jax), eyetracking (in collaboration with Dan Mirman), Virtual Reality, and fMRI (in collaboration with Sharon Thompson-Schill). This work enables us to understand how conceptual representations may be “grounded”, and the aspects of object representations that may be disrupted after stroke to frontal, temporal, or parietal brain regions. In addition, we study the role of spatial and body representations in the control of attention and action.
Programs of Research
- Prediction of action events (with Matthieu De Wit, PhD)
- The role of abstract kinematics in movement imitation (with Aaron Wong, PhD, John Krakauer, MD, PhD, and Steve Jax, PhD)
- Implicit activation of tool-related actions (with Christine Watson, PhD)
- Virtual reality treatment of phantom limb pain (with Katherine Kuchenbecker, PhD, and H. Branch Coslett, MD).
- Representations of the body in phantom limb syndrome (with Tamer Soliman, PhD)
- Facilitating representations of tool use with transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) (with Steve Jax, PhD)
- Functional connectivity of skilled action network (with Steve Gotts, PhD, Alex Martin, PhD, and Christine Watson, PhD)
- The Right Hemisphere Stroke Center at MossRehab – Business Wire (PDF: 141kb / 1 pages)
- Action and non-action sequencing in the left hemisphere (with Ricarda Schubotz, PhD)
- Apraxia rehabilitation using network-strengthening treatment (with Myrna Schwartz, PhD, and Matthieu De Wit, PhD)
- Functional neuroimaging of action similarity (with Sharon Thompson-Schill, PhD, and Heath Matheson, PhD)
- Tamer Soliman, PhD
- Matthieu De Wit, PhD
- Louisa Smith
- Cortney Howard
- Harrison Stoll
- Laura Barde, Research Development Team Manager, University of California San Francisco
- Tania Giovannetti, Associate Professor of Psychology, Temple University
- Steve Jax, Institute Scientist, MRRI.
- Solene Kalenine, Post-doctoral Researcher, Laboratoire URECA, Université Charles-de-Gaulle Lille III, France
- Chia-lin Lee, Assistant Professor, Linguistics Department at National Taiwan University
- Richard Palluel-Germain, Psychology and Neurocognition Laboratory, Universite’ Pierre Mendes
- Antonella Pavese, Senior User Experience Researcher, Google, Inc.
- Konstantinos Tsagkaridis, Neapolis University
- Christine Watson, MRRI Research Associate