The World Federation for NeuroRehabilitation (WFNR) is a multidisciplinary organization with a mission to advance research, education and clinical practice in neurorehabilitation throughout the world. The WFNR, based in the United Kingdom, is an umbrella organization for over 40 National Societies.
Robotics Special Interest Group
Mission: The goal of the Robotics SIG is to promote education of clinical professionals on evidence-based application of robotics to the process of neurorehabilitation.
Newsletters and Annual reports
Chairs Robotics SIG:
Dylan J Edwards, PhD
Dr. Edwards has been the director of MRRI since 2018 where he also oversees the Human Motor Recovery Laboratory. He holds a professorship in neuroscience at Edith Cowan University in Australia. Dr. Edwards has extensive experience in clinical trials and experimental studies using rehabilitation robotics in health and neurological conditions. He has published original research, won competitive and industry grants, and given numerous invited lectures and reviews. In recognition of his experience in robotics together with MRRI leadership in rehabilitation research, Dr. Edwards was invited to co-chair the SIG commencing 2020.
Hermano Igo Krebs, PhD
Dr. Hermano Igo Krebs has been a principal research scientist at MIT’s Mechanical Engineering Department and the director of The77Lab. He also holds an affiliate position as an adjunct professor at University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, and as a visiting professor at Fujita Health University, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Japan), at Osaka University, Mechanical Science and Bioengineering Department (Japan), and at Loughborough University, Rehabilitation Robotics of The Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical, and Manufacturing Engineering (UK).
Alberto Esquenazi, MD
Chief Clinical Officer and John Otto Haas Endowed Chair of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Jefferson Moss-Magee Rehabilitation and Enterprise SVP for Rehabilitation and Post-Acute care at Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals where he also directs the Sheer Gait & Motion Analysis Laboratory. He is a professor of rehabilitation at Thomas Jefferson University – Jefferson Medical College and Drexel University College of Medicine. Under his leadership, MossRehab has introduced over 25 robotic devices many of which underwent clinical trials at the hospital.
Conferences and Workshops
- WFNR 13th World Congress for Neurorehabilitation, Vancouver, Canada, May 22–25, 2024
- 2ème NEUROSOL SYMPOSIUM: LES AVANCÉES EN NEURORÉÉDUCATION, Clinique les Trois Soleils, Boissise-le-Roi, France, June 15, 2024
- IEEE-BioRob 2024: 10th International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, Heidelberg, Germany, September 1-4, 2024
- 2024 Biennial International Symposium, Robotics and Technology in Rehabilitation: Bridging Science and Clinical Care Hosted by Jefferson Moss-Magee Rehabilitation Hospital & Moss Rehabilitation Research Institute Philadelphia, USA, Sept 13-14, 2024
- WFNR 12th World Congress for Neurorehabilitation, Vienna, Austria December 14-17, 2022
- Workshop/Course 2021 Albert Einstein, Sao Paulo, Brazil (Aug 1st, 2021)
- Workshop/Course 2021 MossRehab and Moss Rehabilitation Research Institute, Philadelphia, USA (8-9 October 2021)
- Workshop/Course 2022 Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia (date TBD)
- Workshop at WCNR meeting in Lyon, 2022
- Rehabilitation Robotics Symposium: From Design to Clinical Application at MossRehab, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Workshop: Robot-Assisted Therapy and Neuromodulation for Motor Rehabilitation in Stroke, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
- Workshop: Robot-Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke at ISPRM 2020, Orlando, FL, USA
- Workshop: Rehabilitation – New Technologies, New Education, and Relationship for Professionals at ISPRM 2020, Orlando, FL, USA
- Robotics Symposium, 11th World Congress for Neurorehabilitation, Lyon France (Virtual) October 7, 2020
- IISART meeting at the Joint 11th World Congress for Neurorehabilitation and the 35th Congress of the French Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. October 8, 2020
- IEEE BioRob 2020, New York, NY, USA. See https://biorob2020nyc.org/; 1,569 participants
Special Interest Group Chair meeting, January 14-15, 2021